Conrad Cartagena – Colombia FInally Gets A 5-Star Golf Resort
Right before Colombia & most of the rest of the world went into lockdown due to the Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic, I had the opportunity to briefly visit the Conrad Cartagena hotel and golf resort on Colombia’s Atlantic Coast, just outside of Cartagena.
Part of the Karibana Cartagena development, the hotel opened in December of 2017 but has already become one of Cartagena’s preferred wedding and corporate events destinations, due to the ample ballrooms and open spaces—something very scarce in the city’s historical center.
A typical wedding or event would see a ceremony in the lawn area, with the attendees then moving indoors to the ballroom for seating or dancing. There is also a buffet hall where attendees can take meal service. For smaller weddings, the beach club is available, right on the water with a view of the Cartagena Skyline off to the left.
The hotel has 268 guest rooms and 21 suites in addition to its 2,300 square meters (25,000 square feet) of indoor meeting and events space and 1,000 square meters (11,000 square feet) of lawn area suitable for events.
What really sets the Conrad Cartagena apart is its world-class 18-hole golf course, designed by Jack Nicklaus and operated by TPC. The only golf course fronting the Caribbean Sea and open year-round, it was named by Golf Digest as the best golf course in Colombia.
The hotel features several retail shops such as high-end Colombian fashion designer Jon Sonen, fitness facilities, recreation options such as a table tennis salon—and real tennis courts outside; and ample dining options:
- Seasalt Grill – informal and outdoors setting which serves typical foods like fried fish, coconut rice, fried plantains but also burgers and steaks.
- Adesso Tu – Italian restaurant located indoors with a pizza oven. Also, the breakfast buffet is offered here, featuring fresh gourmet pastries made directly at the hotel.
- Café Market – informal café for morning coffee as well as pastries and simple sandwiches.
- Son & Ron – The informal lobby bar which offers cocktails as well as small dishes to be shared.
- Biblioteka – formal restaurant offering dinner and the hotel’s signature restaurant offering traditional Colombian Caribbean cuisine as well as various dishes from other countries such as Spain.
- Beach Club – informal setting right in front of the kilometer of the resort’s beachfront offering traditional food as well as ceviches, steaks and appetizers.
The Conrad Cartagena is part of the Karibana Cartagena residential development, which I hope to tour once the Coronavirus Pandemic permits travel and activity. The first phase consists of luxury 3-bedroom single family homes with 114 square meters (1,227 square feet) of living space, and membership to the Karibana golf club.